- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1.5 tsp kosher or pickling salt
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 small red chili peppers, halved (optional)
- Make brine: bring water, vinegar, salt, sugar, and garlic to a boil.
- When sugar is dissolved, remove from heat, set aside and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Blanch the beans: boil green beans for 1 minute, drain and quickly put in a bowl of ice water for 5 minutes. Drain again, set aside.
- In clean mason jars (regular mouth preferred) add onion, peppercorns, and chili peppers (or flakes)
- Add beans, upright. Tuck dill amongst the beans.
- Pour brine over beans, put a lid on them and leave on the counter for 12 hours.
- After 12 hours, transfer to the fridge. Let sit for 2 days before eating. NOTE: 1lb beans makes approx. 1qt.